CHATHAM LOFTS HISTORY
Historic photographs are from the personal collection of Preston Brooks Moses, use permitted by the Moses family.
The former Chatham Elementary School is a two-story, five-bay Colonial Revival-style building constructed in 1925. The school has a projecting five-bay central section with a gable roof flanked by two bay wings that exhibit hipped roofs. There are three attic dormers projecting from the slate roof on the front elevation. There are two interior chimneys which project from the ridge line of the central gable roof.
The building is also adorned with a centrally-located decorative arched window above a central entry on each side elevation, and there are brick quoins at the corners of the original building.
The original building was constructed in a U-shape. In 1964, a rear addition was constructed. The addition filled in the U-shape and included alterations to the rear classrooms in the original building. A central stair was added to connect the original building to the addition, which follows the sloped grade of the site, but this stair was removed as part of its recent renovation.
Double Leafed Doors
The school has paired double-hung 12/12 wood windows with 6/9 double-hung dormer windows. The primary entrance is centrally located on the facade; it includes a double leaf door surmounted by a seven light transom. There is a decorative pediment supported by fluted Doric pilasters marking the entry.
The school was built in 1925 and is an excellent example of the Colonial Revival style with its typical massing, materials and detailing. The adjacent library (the County Registrar’s Office) also exhibits typical elements of the Colonial Revival style and reflects many libraries constructed in this region of the state in the 1920s. Both the school and library served the community as important educational resources for decades and are contributing resources to the Chatham Historic District.